Richards Landing - Matthews Memorial Site history:
Matthews Memorial has a catchment area that serves people in eight small rural municipalities from Echo Bay to Bruce Mines and includes St. Joseph Island. Family physicians provide emergency care at Matthews Memorial on an on-call basis.
Formalized health care began in the area in 1905 when the local Women’s Institute branch promoted tonsil, goiter, dental, tubercular, and eye clinics. However, it wasn't until 1924 that a site with three beds opened in Richard’s Landing.
This site was later destroyed by fire, which resulted in the creation of Matthews Memorial Hospital (1929). It was named in honour of Mortimer Matthews, whose widow Mary Ann Matthews, a summer resident from Cincinnati, donated $35,000 to its construction as a memorial to her late husband.
Then in the 1950s, Dr. J. E. Godfrey, a former resident physician, donated $10,000 in memory of his late wife to build an extension to the hospital, completed in 1954. Located on the St. Mary's River downstream from Sault Ste. Marie, St. Joseph Island is a land rich in history dating back to the fur trading days of the 1700s. The island is 99,000 acres in size,
making it the second-largest freshwater island in the world.
This *partially accessible site provides health care services, 24-hour emergency services, with two 24-hour observation beds for patient assessment and stabilization.
*Parking - not accessible (parking on the street, no designated handicap space); Entrance - accessible with automatic door button; Washroom - not accessible.
Offers Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) services which provides access to specialized medical care using video conferencing and other tele-diagnostic equipment, allowing specialist to remotely examine and prescribe treatments to patients in their home communities.
Address: #1180 Richards Landing Street, P.O. Box 188, Richards Landing, ON P0R 1J0
- Tel: 705-246-2570
- Fax: 705-246-2569