Thessalon Site history:
The first hospital in the town of Thessalon was built in a castle on Huron Street, known as Castle Rock (1886). In 1896, Castle Rock was replaced by the Victorian Hospital.
In 1924, the Canadian Red Cross took over operation of what was then a 14-bed hospital. Fire broke out in 1940, with nine newborns requiring rescue, as well as other patients. A temporary hospital was set up in a neighbouring home until the rebuilt hospital opened in March 1942.
In 1967 the building was renovated thanks to fundraising efforts of local residents, who provided more than $265,000 to the project. In 1981 it transferred to a community-operated site, managed by Plummer Memorial located in Sault Ste. Marie. This change marked a new name, Thessalon Hospital.
The present site on Dawson Street is part of a health campus that includes a long-term care home, a seniors’ apartment complex, a nurse practitioner-led clinic and various other amenities. The hospital has four inpatient beds, two observation beds, and a 24-hour emergency department.
This fully accessible medical care site operates a 24-hour emergency department, with two short-term observation beds and four acute care inpatient medical beds in an acute care facility.
Offers Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN) services which provides access to specialized medical care using video conferencing and other tele-diagnostic equipment, allowing specialist to remotely examine and prescribe treatments to patients in their home communities.
Visiting hours: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Address: # 135 Dawson Street, P.O. Box 60, Thessalon, ON P0R 1L0
- Tel: 705-842-2014
- Fax: 705-842-3214